- Certificate to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTLLS)
- Music Educator’s Diploma
- Member of the Musician’s Union
- Member of the Registry of Guitar Tutors
- Current enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) disclosure
- Peripatetic music teacher
- Lead guitarist in 2 bands
I started playing guitar in 1981, playing all styles of music (although mainly rock and pop music). I also studied classical guitar for several years. I teach all levels and abilities across all ages at competitive rates. Lessons are one-to-one so there is no pressure and you can learn at your own pace, in a friendly well equipped environment. Learning guitar should be fun, rewarding and something that can be enjoyed for life. I also offer vouchers which can be used as Birthday or Christmas presents.
When looking for guitar lessons I would advise you to look for a guitar teacher that has a Certificate to Teach In Life Long Learning Sector (CTLLS).
Although it is not mandatory to have any formal qualifications to teach guitar, you may want to ask yourself: would you send your child to a school of unqualified teachers or take driving lessons off someone who was unqualified?
A guitar teacher with a CTLLS will have demonstrated the following knowledge:
- understand ways to negotiate appropriate individual goals with learners
- understand how to plan for inclusive learning
- understand how to use teaching and learning strategies and resources inclusively to meet curriculum requirements
- understand how to use a range of communication skills and methods to communicate effectively with learners
- understand and demonstrate knowledge of the minimum core in own practice
- understand how reflection, evaluation and feedback can be used to develop own practice
- understand key concepts and principles of assessment
- understand and use different types of assessment
- understand the strengths and limitations of a range of assessment methods, including, as appropriate, those which exploit new and emerging technologies
- understand the role of feedback and questioning in the assessment of learning
- understand how to monitor, assess, record and report learner progress and achievement to meet the requirements of the learning programme and the organisation.
- understand how to evaluate the effectiveness of own practice
The Level 3 Diploma for Music Educators is ideal for musicians working in educational contexts who wish to develop fundamental teaching and learning concepts together with an increased understanding of areas such as employment opportunities, self-employment and marketing. The qualifications for Music Educators are flexible, in that learners who have completed the Level 3 Certificate can build on these units to work towards the Level 3 Diploma. Similarly, learners beginning on the Level 3 Diploma may subsequently decide to discontinue their studies after having achieved sufficient units to be awarded the Certificate.
Members are insured for legal liability of £10m, to cover injury to members of the public or damage to property. You also get instrument and equipment insurance up to £2,000, Personal Accident cover and tax investigation cover.
RGT publishes a directory of registered electric, acoustic, classical, jazz guitar teachers and bass teachers in the UK and overseas.
WHAT IS A CRB CHECK?
A Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check provides organisations with copies of any records held by the Police and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) of current or prospective workers (often through their recruitment process). These records cover the period from the workers age of 10 years old. Individuals are not permitted to apply for checks, only organisations! There are currently 2 levels of checks, Standard & Enhanced.
WHAT IS A CRB DISCLOSURE?
A disclosure is a “certificate” of the check and is issued to both the applicant and the organisation and reveals information of any convictions and can also include cautions, reprimands and warnings. This disclosure is used by the organisation (usually in the recruitment process) to make a safe, fair and just decision in placing the applicant in certain posts (usually those that come into contact with children and, or vulnerable adults).
WHAT IS AN ENHANCED CRB CHECK?
An Enhanced CRB check is the most revealing and not only reveals convictions but also, unlike a Standard check, cautions, reprimands and warnings. Enhanced checks are essential for placing the applicant with many positions involving children and/or vulnerable adults.
Teaching in Schools
I am also a peripatetic music teacher and am available to teach at local schools. I currently run courses at the following schools:
- Brewood C of E Middle School
- St John’s CE (VC) First School
- St Mary’s C of E (C) First School
- St Paul’s C of E (C) First School Coven
- St Michael’s CE (A) First School Penkridge
I have played with various bands over the years. Currently, I play guitar in:
I also played lead guitar with Tranzam, the classic rock tribute band, for ten years between 2000 and 2010. I also recently played in The 7Teez, a 70’s tribute band. Prior to that I played in Shiver, Full Confession and Razor Edge.